Sunday 18 August 2019

Misapplying Their Own Model Of Nuclear Relations [1]


Martin & Rose (2007: 104-5):
To prepare this text for analysis, we will:
• lexicalise pronouns and implicit participants,
• re-order the elements of clauses into consistent columns.
The central column in Table 3.4 includes Process and Quality, the left-hand nuclear column includes Agent of effective and Medium of non-effective clauses, the righthand nuclear column includes Medium of effective and Range of non-effective clauses, and the peripheral column is for Circumstances.

Blogger Comments:

[1] To be clear, by inserting participants that the speaker deliberately omitted, Martin & Rose are analysing a misrepresentation of the speaker's text.

[2] This is inconsistent with the authors' own model (p98), which treats Quality as peripheral, not central, to the verbal group, not clause.

[3] This is inconsistent with the authors' own model (p95), which treats Agent as marginal, not nuclear.

[4] To be clear, the agency of the clause, middle or effective, was not presented by the authors as the criterion for Range as nuclear.  On their model, Range: process is central, and Range: entity is nuclear.

[5] The ergative analysis below highlights the major errors in the authors' application of their own model, the most frequent being the misinterpretation of Receiver as Medium (nuclear) instead of Beneficiary (marginal).


On
arriving
back at Sandton Police Station, at what they call the Security Branch

Process
Location

the whole situation
changed
Medium
Process

I
was screamed at
Location* = peripheral
Process

verbally
abused
Manner
Process

I
was slapped around
Medium
Process

I
was punched
Medium
Process

I
was told
Beneficiary  = marginal
Process

to
shut up

Process

sit
in a chair
Process
Location

then
I
was questioned

Beneficiary  = marginal
Process

When
I
answered
the questions

Medium
Process
Range

I
was told
Beneficiary  = marginal
Process

that
I
was lying

Medium
Process

I
was smacked
again
Medium
Process
Extent

And
this
carried on

Medium
Process

to an extent where
I
actually
jumped
up
off the chair

Medium

Process
Location
Location

and
started fighting back

Process

Four, maybe five policemen
viciously
knocked
me
down
Agent  = marginal
Manner
Process
Medium
Location

and
they
put
me
back
on the chair

Agent  = marginal
Process
Medium
Location
Location

and
handcuffed
my hands
through the chair

Process
Medium
Location

which resulting that
I
could not get up

Medium
Process

I
was
then
continuously
smacked and punched
Medium
Pro-

Manner
-cess

* See Halliday & Matthiessen (2014: 351) on medio-receptive clauses.

No comments:

Post a Comment